If you haven’t used sunless tanner before, I’m here to convince you to try it. That is, if you’re interested in adding that bit of glow to your skin without spending lots of time out in the sun or going the spray tan route! Speaking of, I’ve never had a spray tan! I’ve always used sunless tanner in times that I want to get that sun-kissed finish to my skin. Products have come a long ways in the years I’ve been using them, so there are some great options out there that look very natural.
I don’t maintain a sunless tan through the winter/cold months, but I usually apply it regularly throughout the warmer months. I use a high SPF when outside, so it will take a long, long time for me to get the natural tan throughout the summer.
I’ve tried out several products and wanted to share my thoughts with you, in case you’re looking to try! Additionally, the application of the sunless tanning product is very important for getting a natural-looking tan. Read this post for my routine and steps for prepping my skin and application.
2 HR Express Self Tanning Mousse
Shade Used: Medium
– Gives the most natural-looking color for me
– Deepens to a really nice tan with more wear
– Doesn’t leave a lingering “tan” smell to your skin
– Does require pretty precise application, especially if you let it develop for awhile to be a deeper tan. Very easy to see where tanner has been applied during application process.
Self Tanning Mousse
Shade Used: Dark
– gives a very natural-looking color, thought it is a little more golden than Loving Tan
– no leftover scent to my skin
– much less precision required for application than Loving Tan — easy to blend and create a seamless look. Not quite as easy to see it on the skin during application, but the result was pretty flawless!
Gradual Hydrating Self Tanning Lotion
Scent Used: Santal
– Gives a really pretty glow after one application
– Does leave a lingering “tan” smell (until you shower)
– Great for a last minute glow ahead of an event
Self Tan Express Bronzing Mousse
– looks orange on my skin (not the right undertone for me)
– does leave a lingering scent
– have to make sure you apply carefully to have a natural-looking tan as a result
Self Tan Eraser
– works well to remove lingering patches of sunless tan
– I used on my elbows, ankles, and wrists after a week of wearing a sunless tan